Saturday 13 September saw the formal launch by Bob Bryan AM of ‘Silver Hill, the University of Queensland Silver Mine Precinct’. Authored by Engineering Geologist Ken Grubb, this booklet outlines not only the history of mining of the site, its subsequent use for education and training, but also the development of the current world renowned research centre.
Silver and lead mining commenced in 1918 starting with a local resident scratching in his back yard, then more substantial open cut, and then shaft mining. By the late 1920s the reserve had been effectively worked out and the mine closed. The University of Queensland were granted control of the mine and site by Brisbane City Council in the early 1950s.
UQ used the mine for the hands on training of under-graduate and post-graduate students of mining engineering and were instrumental in establishing the Julius Kruttschnitt Research Centre at the site. Access to underground workings is now somewhat curtailed.
The launch was well attended including by local State and BCC representatives and past and present students and staff. It was conducted in a lull of the annual Queensland Mining Games. Teams were engaged in identifying ore, hand panning, timber prop handling, rock drilling and track laying.
Copies of the book are available direct from Sam Logan, contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org