The Chapel Hill Uniting Church and Cemetery are located at the junction of Chapel Hill Road and Moggill Road in Chapel Hill, Brisbane, Queensland. The church was established in 1874 as the Primitive Methodist Church, its subsequent names being the Indooroopilly Methodist Church, the Chapel Hill Methodist Church and now, the Chapel Hill Uniting Church.
The adjoining cemetery has a fairly symmetrical layout with a wide ‘aisle’ down the middle and graves on each side. Whilst some of the graves are marked, many are not, and the church records are not complete. It is estimated that there are almost 200 people buried in the cemetery, the first in 1875. Many of those interred were the early pioneers of the district.
The most recent research of burials has been undertaken by Judy Magub on behalf of the Kenmore & District Historical Society. This included the examination of funeral notices in newspapers dating from 1874 to 1954, the exercise revealing a number of previously unrecorded burials. The information gathered formed the basis for further research into the lives of many of those identified as buried in the cemetery. Reference sources included Trove digitised newspapers, Ancestry.com, electoral records, Birth, Death & Marriage records, Qld Burials Transcription, church records and published works.
A summary list of burials, sorted by surname, has been prepared for easy reference. If you wish to check if more information is available on individuals, or contribute additional material, please contact Judy direct on firstname.lastname@example.org